Knowles Genealogy
Descendants of William Knowles (1825-1910)
Reproduction for the purpose of financial gain is prohibited. Redistribution of this material, in part or in its entirety, to a genealogical website/service which resells or charges for access is strictly prohibited. The data contained herein is for the most part either public domain or copyright of various statutary authorities, unless specified otherwise in the sources, and cannot, by international copyright law ("Intellectual Rights") be copyrighted by a third party. I make no claim regarding the accuracy of this chart; the original sources are not free from error and transcriptions may contain errors. Printing instructions: This document contains formatting which is incompatible with printing. To print use a text editor (eg: notepad) to remove all occurrences of "<fieldset>" and "</fieldset>" & then print, or email for a printable pdf. Layout & charts © 2012, David Powell, <roots-boots @>

Main Surname Index

William arrived in Australia as a seaman. At this stage nothing is known of his parentage or origin other than that he was of British nationality which, in the 1800's, was of little help since the British Empire stretched around the globe. It is possible his marriage & death certificates may shed some light, however his marriage was prior to civil registration and church registration rarely gave parental details and his death entry in the BMD indices does not list any parents, suggesting that information is also missing from his death certificate. Records of arriving seamen of British nationality in the 1800's were very brief even if, as with William, they left ship in Australia. Name, sometimes their age, crew status and nationality is usually the only information recorded. Tracing William's ancestry is thus highly unlikely. William was possibly of Scottish origin - his marriage certificate notes he was a member of the Presbyterian Church of Scotland. The 1851 UK census lists 59 William Knowles born between 1824-1828. Tracing William's ancestry in the UK is, at this stage, not feasible.

1. William Austin Knowles.[4,25,26,195] Born 1825/1826/[4,22]1828.[195] Died 1910, Redfern, Waterloo district, Sydney, NSW, Australia.[4] William, of British nationality, arrived in Sydney, NSW, Australia 17/1/1854 on the "Florida", which sailed from Batavia, Dutch East Indies (now Jakarta, Indonesia),[22,24] and Liverpool, England, prior to that, under Captain John New.[24] Seaman, 1854.[22] Possibly the Captain Knowles who was a cabin passenger on the Dandenong, which arrived in Sydney 28/11/1870, having departed from Port Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.[23]
William Knowles
Captain William Knowles
Family held photograph, c.1880
In 1881,1882,1883,[20,21,25,26,43,44,45] Captain William Knowles was the senior ship master with the Hunter River New Steam Navigation Company,[43,44,45] commanding the steamship "Maitland", the then flagship of the shipping line.[20,21,43,44,45,51,52]
SS Maitland
S.S. Maitland at Morpeth Wharf
Photograph -  Gosford & District in Pictures
The S.S. Maitland first arrived in Sydney Harbour from Glasgow 4/6/1871.[56,57] She was an iron paddle steamer, built 1870, Glasgow, 240 feet long, weighing 880 tonnes gross and taking a further 550 tonnes in cargo.[54,57] The hull was made of iron plate, and paddle wheels mounted either side of the hull provided the means of propulsion.[57] She was placed in service between Sydney and Morpeth 19/7/1871.[57] The typical Hunter River Steam Navigation Company ship was "yacht-like, clipper-bowed and graceful of aspect.[57] During her 1871 trials, the Maitland was said to "steer admirably", and reached a top speed of 14 knots; her steam-engines could develop an estimated 250 horse-power.[57] Two tubular boilers, each furnished with six furnaces, kept stokers busy.[57] The first passage to Newcastle took 5 ˝ hours from Sydney.[57] On the Hunter River she ran six miles in 25 minutes.[57] Bird's-eye maple fittings "polished to glossy brightness" and seats "cushioned with horsehair" were features of the "commodious and handsomely furnished" saloons.[57] There were 38 berths in the saloon, 14 in the ladies cabin, and 2 staterooms off the saloon.[57] In addition to this, the Maitland boasted another two staterooms, and accommodation for at least 34 passengers.[57] On 6/5/1898, under the command of Captain Skinner, the Maitland was shipwrecked near Cape Three Points, Maitland Bay, NSW.[54] 21 lives were lost.[54] "She left Sydney with 63 passengers and crew in the face of a tremendous gale and was soon battling through enormous seas which caused considerable damage to her superstructure. The master and crew were not alarmed as she was considered to be seaworthy and had battled through many storms during her career. Huge seas hit her just inside Sydney Heads, smashing her fanlights and extinguishing every light in the saloon. When well out to sea, she was damaged further, allowing water to sweep throughout and forcing the captain to jettison the deck cargo. Further deck cargo of machinery broke loose and stove holes near the paddle wheels. More water swept aboard, extinguishing the boiler fires and leaving her helpless. Passengers were assembled in the saloon, issued with lifebelts and told that the ship might not remain afloat for very long. She drifted helplessly until just before dawn. At 5.45am the Maitland swept on to rocks, breaking in two between the funnels, her fore section being rolled over and over by the giant waves, drowning most of the steerage passengers in the forepart of the ship. After several attempts a line was made fast to the shore, enabling most of the passengers and crew to reach safety through the icy waves. In 1957, two fishermen recovered her bell which is now incorporated in a memorial close to what is now known as Maitland Bay. Fourteen vessels were wrecked along the coast of New South Wales during that night (5-6 May) in what is now known as the 'Maitland Gale'. The remains lie scattered in shallow water down to five metres."[54] Essentially the same story is given on the Gosford Council website, adding "The vessel struck bow first, and then a second, heavier sea struck and swung the ship around until it was wedged on the rocks about 60 yards from the headland. Steerage passengers and the chief officer at the bow end were thrown into the boiling sea when she parted amidships. After two more deaths, and some truly heroic actions by crew and passengers, a line to shore was secured and survivors crawled down it two at a time. Over the next few weeks, the sea reluctantly gave up its dead. 24 people are believed to have died in the Maitland disaster."[57] According to a report in the New York Times, the Maitland was commanded by Captain Anderson, six lives were lost and she was wrecked at Broken Bay.[55]
P.S. Namoi
Paddle-steamer Namoi gathers speed
as she leaves harbour

Image- Wikipedia
By 1884 & 1885 Captain Knowles was commanding the steamer "Namoi".[47,50] The Namoi arrived in Sydney 6/4/1884, having sailed from Granton (Edinburgh, Scotland).[53] It was introduced into service with the Hunter River New Steam Navigation Company (later known as the Hunter River Steam Navigation Company) later that year and, at 1414 tonnes, it was one of the largest iron paddle-wheelers in service in Australia and was one of the last two paddle steamers operating in Australian waters, the other being the Australian Steam Navigation Company's "Newcastle" (a "mere" 1250 tonnes).[48] The Naomi ended her service in 1926 and was "disposed" (sunk) at sea 16/6/1933, off the coast of Sydney.[49] At one time the Namoi was considered the finest paddle-steamer in Australia.[49]
Published 16/4/1881, "Easter Holidays. Special Notice. Hunter River New Steam Navigation Co. Steam to Sydney. The Steamship Maitland, Capt. Knowles, will leave Newcastle for Sydney on Wednesday and Saturday Night, at Eleven o clock. Passengers requiring Reserved or other Berths, please communicate early to Lochhead & Co, Agents, Newcastle".[21] On 2/3/1882, The Report on the Half-Yearly Meeting, for the 6 months prior to 31/1/1882, mentions that the "Maitland", under Captain Knowles, had been laid up for 17 days for ordinary repairs and docking.[43] Dated 6/3/1882 but published 9/3/1882, "Hunter River New Steam Navigation Company. Notice to Tradesmen and Others. Mr. William Austin Knowles, Master of the Steamship Maitland, having been appointed provedore of the vessel under his command, the Directors of the Company hereby repeat their former notification, that they will not be accountable or liable for any debts that may be contracted by the provedores of any of the Company's steamers, or for any Supplies that may be furnished for provisioning the crews or passengers of the said vessels; and also, that they will not be Accountable or Liable for any Debts that may be contracted without the written signature of their Manager. By order of the Board. F. J. Thomas, Manager. Offices, foot of Market-street, Sydney, 6th March, 1882."[20] On 7/3/1882 (published 9/3/1882), "Breaking Down of the Steamer Maitland. Steamer and Mails at Broken Bay. The S.S. Coonanbara, which arrived on Tuesday morning, reports the breaking down of the steamer Maitland, near Broken Bay. We gain from Captain Adams the following particulars of the mishap: The Maitland and Coonanbara left Sydney at the usual hour on Monday night (the former carrying the mails), and proceeded all well with a S.W. wind until about 1.30 a.m. when off the North Head of Broken Bay the Maitland was noticed to stop, and shortly afterwards a blue light was burned as a distress signal. Captain Adams at once turned and went out to her, but owing to a heavy sea, was only able to get within hailing distance. He learned from Captain Knowles that his steamer had broken down from some unknown cause. At his request the Coonanbara lay by until daylight, when she went into the track of the Cambia and Morpeth bound for Sydney, and by means of blue lights attracted the Kembla, which was first of the two to put in an appearance. The Maitland meantime was steadied under canvas, a strong wind blowing off the land, and apparently in no danger. The Kembla, having communicated with the disabled steamer, proceeded straight to Sydney Heads for assistance, whence the steamer Commodore would in all probability be despatched. Captain Adams again bore down, and having Captain Knowles' assurance that they were all safe, left the steamer Morpeth in company and proceeded on to Newcastle. She was left about seven miles east of the entrance to Broken Bay, with a strong S.W. gale and very heavy sea running. Between the squalls Barrenjoey Lighthouse was discernible, and it is probable that she will be towed into the bay on account of the heavy seas. From a telegram received from Sydney later on we ascertained that the Maitland was subsequently taken safely into Broken Bay. The cause of the disaster is stated to be the breaking of her screw shaft, as all other parts of her hull and machinery are in excellent working condition, and free from any defect. A later telegram states that she has since been towed to Sydney."[51] The 1881/1882 Annual Company Report (for the year prior to 31/7/1882) refers to the "Maitland" having been laid up for almost 4 months for repairs resulting from an unspecified accident.[44] During this time the Maitland was refitted, "[the] directors took the opportunity of greatly improving the passenger
SS Maitland
Paddle steamer S.S. Maitland
Photograph -  Gosford & District in Pictures
accommodation of this favourite steamship, and she is now in splendid order, and in every way adapted for our large and increase of trade."[44] The accident to the steamship Maitland had entailed a considerable financial outlay.[44] On 1/7/1882 Captain Knowles took the Maitland on a trial trip after repairs: "On Saturday a trial trip of the Hunter River New Steam Navigation Company's fine steamer Maitland took place. Several of the directors were on board and took considerable interest in the trial, which from start to finish was a complete success. Before giving an outline of Saturday's doings it may be mentioned that some 14 weeks ago the Maitland, whilst under full steam, snapped her huge crank shaft and simultaneously smashed the entablature which sustains the ponderous shaft. It appeared to be the most complete breakdown we have yet witnessed in these parts, and it was a matter of doubt with the directors whether its magnitude would not necessitate the vessel being sent to England. Few suspected that in the Australian colonies there were mechanical resources capable of repairing the damage. But Messers Mort and Company, with a prophetic eye to business, appear to have forged and turned out a monster crank and shaft a few years ago to demonstrate the productive capabilities of their engineering business ... [which was placed] in the Maitland ... The improvements effected on the Maitland during the past 14 weeks almost place her beyond recognition. Externally, and indeed internally to some degree, she has all the appearance of a brand new boat. In the first-class passenger accommodation extensive alterations have been made, and it would require a critical eye to identify the original saloon as now arranged. There are two entrances from the main deck into the saloon, and the whole of the space at the sides of the ship, extending from these entrances to the transóme aft, together with the space in the centre formerly occupied by the special cabin, have been fitted up with large and well ventilated state-rooms, having two berths in each, together with washstands, looking-glass, bottle-rack, &e. The furniture for all the rooms is of polished cedar, and so arranged that they may easily be removed with a view to cleanliness. The fronts of state-rooms are formed of jalousy framing, neatly moulded, grained bird's-eye maple, and to these rooms, the saloon table aft has been removed, and handsomely relieved with polished teak pilasters, frieze gilt cap, and mouldings, all of which are very tastefully arranged. In addition space fitted up with open berths, arranged so as to form two comfortable centre seats or lounges, and may be converted into 12 first-class sleeping berths, if required. From the saloon there are two entrances to stairs, leading to the spar deck and deck staterooms. Directly above these stairs is fitted in the roof of the deck house, a very neat octagon skylight, glazed with richly embossed glass. A representation of the Maitland is embossed in one pane, and that of the Morpeth in the other, the ends being decorated with the Australian coat of arms. The after part of the deck house forms a large airy ladies' cabin. The forward part has been extended and fitted into large staterooms, similar to those in the saloon. All these rooms, together with the ladies' and captain's cabin, have been fitted with electric bells, so arranged that a passenger in any room may, by simply touching a button, ring a bell in the saloon, and at the same time a number corresponding to that of the room will show on an indicator fitted close by, within view of the steward on duty. The Maitland, with these alterations, will afford ample accommodation for 100 first-class passengers, and has the further advantage of most of the berths being in enclosed cabins. The alterations to the passenger accommodation have been carried out from designs furnished by Messrs. A. L. and G. M'Credie, architects and consulting engineers, who also superintended the carrying out of this branch of the work. Under the command of Captain Knowles, the vessel steamed from Mort's Wharf at 11.15 a.m., her machinery working as smoothly as a watch. After going at reduced speed as far as Port Macquarie, full steam was turned on previous to approaching Fort Denision, and the measured mile was done in 4 minutes 9 seconds, or equivalent to 14.5 knots an hour. She took a run outside the Heads for a mile or two, and then returned to the harbour, steaming slowly about, whilst a few visitors on board enjoyed the hospitality of the directors in the saloon."[52] On 3/2/1883, "A very sad case of drowning. On the arrival of the passenger train from Newcastle on Thursday morning the sad intelligence reached West Maitland that a man had fallen overboard from the steamship Maitland, on the passage from Sydney to Newcastle. From particulars to hand it seems that the name of the unfortunate man is Mr. J. 0. Mullane, a selector, residing near Wee Waa. He and his wife, son, and two daughters had been on a visit to the metropolis and were returning home. Deceased, who was suffering from sea-sickness, was seen on deck shortly before 1 o'clock on Thursday morning, and was suddenly missed a few minutes afterwards. It is believed that the deceased must have been struck by the paddle wheel when falling. The night was very dark, and the steamer was going at a speed of twelve knots an hour when the accident occurred. In these circumstances Captain Knowles deemed it useless to return to search for the body of the missing man - an opinion that was confirmed by the passengers on board. The heart-rending cries of the wife and family of the unfortunate man when the sad news was communicated to them, will long be remembered by those who were on board."[45] On 13/9/1883, "A communication was read [at the Morpeth Borough Council regarding the navigatable state of the Hunter River around Morpeth] from the manager of the Hunter River New Steam Navigation Company, enclosing reports from Captains Knowles, Carter, Royle and Mannigal. Captain Knowles reported that he had no difficulty in taking the s.s. Maitland up or down, although there were places where he had to slow at low water, as much to prevent the vessel running from her helm as from the shallowness of the water. The Maitland has stirred the mud when swinging at Morpeth at low water. There was plenty of room in any of the straight reaches for two vessels to pass with safety. There were other places in the river, however, where the dredge would be of great service, especially off the points."[46]

Wreck of the Maitland
The day after - wreck of the S.S. Maitland
Image - The tragic tale of the S.S. Maitland shipwreck
Wreck of the Maitland
Remains of the S.S. Maitland, 9/2007
Photograph © Matt Hendrix (on Panoramio)
Wreck of the Maitland
Wreck of the S.S. Maitland, 10/1898
Photograph - Albert Perier (NSW State Library)

On 7/10/1884, "The Marine Board today dealt with the case of Captain Knowles, master of the steamer Naomi, who had been adjudged responsible for the late collision between the steamers Namoi and Age_oria [name unreadable], by which the latter sunk off Dawes Point. The board decided to suspend Captain Knowles certificate for a month."[50] On 20/5/1885, "A collision occurred in Newcastle Harbour .. between the steamer Namoi, outward bound for Sydney, and the schooner Grace Lynn, timber laden. Tho steamer struck the schooner, which sank almost immediately, the crew hardly having sufficient time to get into the boat. Captain Knowles, of the Namoi, at once lowered a boat to the assistance of the crew of the Grace Lynn, who reached the shore safely. The Namoi was uninjured, and resumed her voyage to Sydney shortly afterwards."[47]
Married Harriet Jane Wood,[25,26] 9/4/1855,[4,133,195] St Andrew's, Scots Church Presbyterian, York Street, Sydney, NSW, Australia.[4,195] Both previously unmarried, John Dunmore Land the officiant.[195] Witnesses were Richard Waldron & Elizabeth Waldron.[195] William was a member of the Presbyterian Church of Scotland.[195] Harriett, daughter of Charles & Jane, born 1836, Parramatta, NSW, Australia,[4,133,195] & baptised 1838, St John's, Parramatta, NSW, Australia.[4] Died 22/9/1905, 19 Marlborough Street, Leichhardt, Sydney, NSW, Australia.[4,133] Suffered from heart disease & senility for three years prior to death, cause of death was heart failure.[133] Informant was William Austin Knowles.[133] Buried 25/9/1905, The Balmain Church of England Cemetery, Leichhardt, Sydney, NSW, William H. Rafter & George R. Bilton (her sons-in-law) were the witnesses at the burial.[133] Resided 1864, Waterloo, Sydney,, NSW, Australia.[176] William resided at the time of his wife's death (22/9/1905) at 126 Walker Street, Redfern, Sydney (now Waterloo), NSW, Australia (Harriett's place of death was the Leichhardt Masonic Hall).[133]

Children of William Austin Knowles & Harriet Jane Woods:

William Austin Knowles, born 1855-1857. Died 1857, Sydney, NSW, Australia.[4]

George Bushby Knowles, born 1857, Sydney, NSW, Australia.[4,133]


Frances Jane Knowles, born 1859, Parramatta, NSW, Australia.[4,133] Died 1908, Redfern, Sydney, NSW, Australia.[4] Married William Hynds Rafter, 1891, Sydney, NSW, Australia.[4] William, son of Thomas & Ellen, died 1911, Newtown, Sydney, NSW, Australia.[4]
Children: (a)
William Thomas Rafter, born 1893, Sydney, NSW, Australia.[4] Died 1970, Wyong, NSW, Australia.[4] Married 1st Edith D. Bannister, 1916, Parramatta, NSW, Australia.[4] Married 2nd Isabel E. Leeming, 1929, Sydney, NSW, Australia.[4]


Annie Knowles, born 1862, Sydney, NSW, Australia.[4] {No reference to Annie on her mother's death certificate, however other children who died as babies are referred to}

Sarah Jane Knowles, born 1864, Waterloo, Sydney, NSW, Australia.[4,25,26,133,176] Refer to Bilton family for further generations
Thomas J. Knowles, born 1867, Sydney, NSW, Australia.[4] Either the Thomas Knowles who died 1904, Parkes, NSW or the Thomas F. Knowles who died 1902, Bathurst, NSW, both sons of William & Jane Knowles.[4] Thomas was listed as deceased on his mother's death certificate, 1905.[133]

Alice Mary Knowles, born 1870, Sydney, NSW, Australia.[4] Died 1875, Sydney, NSW, Australia.[4]

Henrietta Mary Knowles, born 1872, Sydney, NSW, Australia.[4,133] Died 1945, Parramatta, NSW, Australia.[4] Married Robert William Abrahams, 1899, Goulburn, NSW, Australia.[4] Robert, son of Alfred & Anna, died 1944, Granville, NSW, Australia.[4]
Children: (a)
Robert L. W. Abrahams, born 1900, Goulburn, NSW, Australia.[4] Died 1975, NSW, Australia.[4]
Jessie E. P. Abrahams, born 1908, Goulburn, NSW, Australia.[4]
(c)Ruby A. Abrahams, born 1910, Temora, NSW, Australia.[4]
ix.Jessie Ada Knowles, born 1874, Sydney, NSW, Australia.[4,133] Died 1963, Marrickville, Sydney, NSW, Australia.[4] Married William James Bradford, 1894, Redfern, Sydney, NSW, Australia.[4] William, son of Charles & Hannah, died 1938, Randwick, Sydney, NSW, Australia.[4]
Children: (a)
Michael Allan Bradford, born 1895, Goulburn, NSW, Australia.[4] Died 1964, Marrickville, Sydney, NSW, Australia.[4]
Marjorie A. Bradford, born 1897, Goulburn, NSW, Australia.[4]
(c)Eric Arthur Bradford, born 1897, Goulburn, NSW, Australia.[4] Died 1963, Marrickville, Sydney, NSW, Australia.[4]
(d)Jessie Ada Bradford, born 1901, Goulburn, NSW, Australia.[4]
(e)Norman Austin Bradford, born 1903, Goulburn, NSW, Australia.[4] Died 1975, NSW, Australia.[4]
(f)Kenneth A. Bradford, born 1906, Goulburn, NSW, Australia.[4]
(g)Jean A. Bradford, born 1908, Goulburn, NSW, Australia.[4]
(h)Terence A. Bradford, born 1910, Goulburn, NSW, Australia.[4]
(i)Maxwell Alexander Bradford, born 1912, Nimitybelle, NSW, Australia.[4] Died 1977, NSW, Australia.[4]
(j)Harold A. Bradford, born 1914, Nowra, NSW, Australia.[4]
x.Charles Edward Knowles, born 1876, Sydney, NSW, Australia.[4,133] Died 1933, Manly, Sydney, NSW, Australia.[4] Married Mary Ann Taylor, 1900, Sydney, NSW, Australia.[4]
Children: (a)
Jessie E. Knowles, born 1900, Glebe, Sydney, NSW, Australia.[4] Married Henry E. Lyons, 1924, Manly, Sydney, NSW, Australia.[4]
Charles S. Knowles, born 1901, Glebe, Sydney, NSW, Australia.[4] Died 1903, Glebe, Sydney, NSW, Australia.[4]
(c)Marjorie C. Knowles, born 1902, Leichhardt, Sydney, NSW, Australia.[4] Married Frederick A. Crighton, 1927, Manly, Sydney, NSW, Australia.[4]
(d)George T. Knowles, born 1906, Marrickville, Sydney, NSW, Australia.[4] Died 1929, Manly, Sydney, NSW, Australia.[4]
(e)Frederick Charles Knowles, born 1909, Glebe, Sydney, NSW, Australia.[4] Died 1972, St Leonards, Sydney, NSW, Australia.[4] Married Olga May Madden, 1936, Parramatta, NSW, Australia.[4]
(f)Thomas Gard Knowles, born 1911, Manly, Sydney, NSW, Australia.[4] Died 1964, Hamilton, NSW, Australia.[4] Married Jane Elizabeth Hinds, 1943, Manly, Sydney, NSW, Australia.[4]
(g)Florence Knowles, born 1913, Manly, Sydney, NSW, Australia.[4] Died 1933, Manly, Sydney, NSW, Australia.[4]
(h)Edna Mary Knowles, born 1915, Manly, Sydney, NSW, Australia.[4] Married Bryon William Robertson, 1937, Manly, Sydney, NSW, Australia.[4]
(i)Donald Knowles, born 1918, Manly, Sydney, NSW, Australia.[4] Married Lorna Yvonne Rolfe, 1942, Sydney, NSW, Australia.[4]
xi.Elsie Edith Knowles, born 1879, Redfern, Sydney, NSW, Australia.[4,133] Died 1944, Auburn, Sydney, NSW, Australia.[4] Married Patrick J. Clara, 1902, Sydney, NSW, Australia.[4] Patrick, s/o Michael, died 1915, Waverley, Sydney, NSW, Australia.[4] Elsie married 2nd Thomas Cleary, 1919, Sydney, NSW, Australia.[4] No issue.

Wreck of the Maitland
The Haven Canal, Batavia, c.1870
Image - Woodbury & Page, Wikipedia
Scots Presbyterian Church, Sydney
Scots Presbyterian Church, Sydney, 1880's
Photograph from Willetts Family
19 Marlborough St, Leichhardt
19 Marlborough St, Leichhardt
Photograph - Google Street View

The Scots' Church of St. Andrew's, known as Dr. Lang's Church in the 1800's, stood near the entrance to the old Military Barracks, in the immediate vicinity of St Philip's, Church of England. A large and well finished building capable of holding 1000 people. It was the first Scots' Church erected in Australia, Lang being the first Presbyterian minister in the Australian Colonies. The foundation stone for St Andrew's was laid 1/7/1824 by the Governor, Sir Thomas Brisbane. The church was demolished to widen York Street and allow for tunnelling when work began on construction of the Sydney Harbour Bridge in the 1920s. The present day building was built near the site of the original church.[Sydney Architecture]


1.1. George Bushby Knowles (s/o William), born 1857, Sydney, NSW, Australia.[4,133] Died 1953, Marrickville, Sydney, NSW, Australia.[4] Married Kathleen Armes, 1886, Redfern, Sydney, NSW, Australia.[4] Kathleen, daughter of William & Kathleen, died 1935, Sydney, NSW, Australia.[4]

Children of George Bushby Knowles & Kathleen Armes:
Muriel Knowles, born 1887, Glebe, Sydney, NSW, Australia.[4] Died 1956, Mayfield, Sydney, NSW, Australia.[4] Did not marry.[4]

Raymond George Knowles, born 1889, Newcastle, NSW, Australia.[4] Died 1965, Sydney, NSW, Australia.[4] Married Frances May Thomson, 1914, Sydney, NSW, Australia.[4] Frances, daughter of Daniel & Mary Ann, died 1965, Balmain, Sydney, NSW, Australia.[4]
Children: (a)
Nancy M. Knowles, born 1918, Newcastle, NSW, Australia.[4] Died 1929, Redfern, Sydney, NSW, Australia.[4]